Janmashtami, the celebration of Lord Krishna's birth, is a time of devotion and festivity. One way to honor this auspicious occasion is by preparing a special dish called Dhaniya Panjari. This delicious and nutritious recipe combines the flavors of coriander (dhaniya) and other ingredients to create a delightful offering to Lord Krishna. In this blog post, we'll guide you through the steps to make Dhaniya Panjari for Janmashtami.
- 1 Cup Coriander Seeds (Dhaniya)
- 1/2 Cup Powdered Sugar
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Almonds
- 1/4 Cup Chopped Cashews
- 1/4 Cup Raisins
- 1/4 Cup Grated Dry Coconut
- 1 Tsp Cardamom Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Nutmeg Powder
- 1/2 Tsp Fennel Seeds
- 1/4 Tsp Edible Gum (Gond)
- Ghee (Clarified Butter) for Roasting
- Begin by roasting the coriander seeds in a dry pan over low heat. Stir continuously to prevent burning, and roast until the seeds turn aromatic and lightly golden. Remove from heat and let them cool.
- In the same pan, roast the chopped almonds, cashews, and grated dry coconut separately until they become golden and fragrant. Set them aside.
- Heat a small amount of ghee in the same pan and add the edible gum. It will puff up quickly, so be cautious. Remove it from the pan once it expands, and set it aside.
- Grind the roasted coriander seeds into a fine powder using a spice grinder or mortar and pestle.
- In a mixing bowl, combine the powdered coriander, roasted dry fruits, edible gum, raisins, fennel seeds, cardamom powder, and nutmeg powder. Mix well to ensure even distribution.
- Add the powdered sugar to the mixture and stir thoroughly to combine all the ingredients.
- Let the Dhaniya Panjari cool completely before transferring it to an airtight container. It will become more firm as it cools.
Dhaniya Panjari is not just a delicious treat but also a heartfelt offering to Lord Krishna during Janmashtami. The fusion of coriander and various other ingredients creates a unique and flavorful dish that symbolizes devotion and blessings. May your Janmashtami be filled with devotion, celebration, and the delightful taste of Dhaniya Panjari!